Former Cottage Hospital, Monmouth, Wales

Former Cottage Hospital, Monmouth, Wales

Former Cottage Hospital, Monmouth is a defunct hospital and dispensary building in Monmouth Wales. Between 1903 and 2006 was Monmouth’s cottage hospital and the first hospital in Monmouth to be purpose built. At the time of opening it was more commonly referred to as the New Cottage Hospital.


The building was built on the former site of Monmouth County Gaol on the Hereford Road. The Memorial Stone was laid on 27 September 1902 by Lord Llangattock, president of the hospital. The ground was bought from the Duke of Beaufort for £250. It was designed by Richard Creed, built by Collins and Geoffrey and Furnished by George Edwards of Monmouth. The cost of the building was around £7500 of which £2000 was donated by Lord Llangattock. One of the demands which was agreed upon for the design, was that the building would not obstruct the Vicar’s view who was living in the house above the site which was then the vicarage. According to Keith Kissack the new hospital was one of the most successful building projects of the period in Monmouth.

The ceremony to open the hospital was held on 6 November 1903 and started with a procession at 3pm from the earlier Dispensary in St James Square, led by the Monmouth Fire and Rescue Station and Mayor of Monmouth – Hamilton Traherne Baillie. A crowd of around a 1000 gathered at the site for the opening.

The building was closed when Monmouth’s latest Hospital was opened in 2006. The building is set to be turned into private flats.

Leave a Reply