Aberbargoed Hospital

Aberbargoed Hospital

Aberbargoed Hospital was a National Health Service Wales hospital in Aberbargoed, Caerphilly County Borough, Wales. At closure in 2011, managed by the Aneurin Bevan Local Health Board, it had twenty-eight beds for General Practitioner, respite and continuing care services. The hospital also had a Minor Injury Department.

A cottage hospital was built at Aberbargoed by the Powell Duffryn Steam Coal Company in 1909 to provide hospital facilities for employees in the Rhymney Valley. The hospital was maintained by the men themselves, who made contributions towards its upkeep. Originally it had 14 beds, a Surgeon’s Room and Receiving Room, Operating Room, Matron’s Room, Nurses’ Room and Staff Dining Room. In the basement was a large Ambulance Room, and X-ray facilities. The premises also had a Laundry, Mortuary and Post-mortem Rooms. The hospital was opened on 10 December 1909 by Lord Tredegar.

After nationalisation, the hospital became a community hospital, later used mainly for care of the elderly under the management of the Gwent Healthcare NHS Trust at Ystrad Mynach Hospital.

The hospital closed in November 2010, and patient care was transferred temporarily to other local facilities, including Caerphilly District Miners Hospital. From November 2011 health services are provided at the new Ysbyty Ystrad Fawr facility at Ystrad Mynach. The building has been demolished.


Leave a Reply